Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Ahhh, I've figured it out.

Well, I have to start by saying that a little bit of procrastination may occasionally pay off. Yes, it is the last day to turn in our first blog stating our ideas-- and yes, it took me until today, to figure the perfect idea. It’s Junior year, arguably the most difficult, and most dreaded year for one reason… the ACT. The big, bad ACT test that teachers promised would be the most important test we will need to take. “This test determines your future,” Mr. Reeser once remarked. “I could have been a doctor, but I’m here teaching you guys.” That is something that will be ingrained in my head until the test proctor says, “pencils down.”

So, when Mr. Wilson gave us a project and said, “Do what you want,” I was a little stumped. However, when Mr. Reeser’s words of wisdom, and many other horror stories came to mind I came up with it. I needed to find a way to combat the ominous ACT. So I sat down and thought about the best ways to learn. I thought, music, but I am musically inept. Well, how about flash cards? No, that would mean about 4000 flash cards and I wouldn’t be able to sustain that project all summer. I thought about all my normal study techniques and nothing came to me. I talked it over with my sister—who is a teacher, and she said she learns something from her students everyday. It hit me. I am going to spend my summer Tutoring, and practicing for the ACT. What better way to learn, than to teach? I will come up with weekly lesson plans, practices tests and I will go over study habits with the student I will tutor. I figure, if I can help someone, while helping myself, there is no better way to spend the summer. ACT, you are going down!

No comments:

Post a Comment