Monday, June 28, 2010

Small Steps

For my summer project I wanted to not only better my life, but also impact the life of others. That's why my project is bettering the world. I realize that bettering the world is a huge task to accomplish and is impossible for just one person to achieve by themselves. My goal is not to save everyone in the world, stop world hunger or make the poor rich. No, it is simply to touch a life, any life. Making a difference in someones life will change mine. Whether I make someone smile, or just give them that one last ounce of hope to make it through another day, I will be honored to know I made a difference in the life of another. For this reason, the name of my project is "Small Steps."
I wanted to start off my project small, so last week I wrote letters. I wrote to the soldiers at war, thanking them and letting them know that they are heroes and I am praying for them. I sent 20 letters to an organization called "Operation Thank You." The organization will send my letters to 20 different soldiers at war. I am hopeful that this will give them strength to go on. I also wrote 20 letters to sick children. I told them how special they are and I was thinking of them. I told them to get well soon and never give up. I sent these letters to the St. Jude Hospital in the hopes that one simple letter will give a child strength and encourage them to keep fighting. I've also begun instructing little girls ballet classes on every Tuesday. It is something I love to do, and the girls love it too. They are so cute and I love helping them when they need it.
This week I am beginning to help coach my little sisters softball team. They have practice every Monday, Wednesday and Friday night. I love helping young girls excel, especially when I have been in their situation and can teach them from my own experience. I am also volunteering at Grace Center of Hope in Pontiac on July 3. I am not sure what I will be doing, but I am hoping that I can make someones day.
I am very excited for the rest of my project and wish everyone else GOOD LUCK ;)

They say that "our fingerprints never fade from the lives we touch." -Remember Me

3 comments:

  1. Jessica, you are amazing. A lot of people are doing charity for their projects, but I think you are the only one who is using your own talents to help others. You are a really good dancer and I remember being on the softball team with you in fifth grade. Plus, you are clearly good at writing. with all of these I think you are doomed to be successful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessie, this is amazing! I saw your application on Kathy's desk at Canterbury! You'll get accepted into the program for sure, so make sure you tell her that you want to work with me and we can figure it all out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an absolutely amazing project! You'll be touching the lives of so many people using your God given talents, which is a wonderful thing to do. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete