Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Somewhat of a failure..

So this is entry 2, and if im typing weird, sorry but im falling asleep. I just had to get this down while it was fresh in my head. Today I fired up my kiln for the first time! i had all the pieces i had made in the kiln, completely dried. I lit the torch Im using (which looks a lot like a flamethrower hooked up to a propane tank) and when i inserted it into the kiln, i noticed it sounded like things were exploding, just very small and rapid. I turned it off and looked inside, and the pieces looked like the flames were licking away layers in the clay! I asked my ceramics teacher, Mrs. Groff, why this happened and the best we could figure is that it was because the massive amount of heat being generated by the torch was destroying the clay, just from it getting so hot so fast. This is only because it was the first firing, or bisque firing. The bisque firing turns the clay from what is roughly a pile of dried mud to something much harder, almosta rock. After the bisque, you apply a glaze or stain to color the surface of the clay. The second firing, which is usually hotter than the first, matures the glaze turning it to a glass coating. So Mrs. Groff and i figured that i could either pre-heat the clay pieces in a bonfire, or something hot like that, or just have the torch on a very low heat. I did another firing as well today, the second firing, on a teapot that i got from school, which had no glaze applied to it. I used the raku process, which includes heating the piece, taking it out at the maturing temperature of the glaze, and quickly putting it in a barrel of shredded paper that then catches fire. You then close the lid on the barrel, and the fire sucks all the oxygen out of the clay, turning it black. After that, you take the piece out and dip it in water, to further and lock in the reduction process. The teapot turned out quite nicely, and i will be putting pictures up as soon as i figured out how. The pieces that were destroyed are already being rebuilt as well!

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry that your first try didn't work out that well, but at least now you know how to avoid that problem. Hey, do you want to trade ovens? mine is so old that I have to heat it twenty-five degrees over what the recipe says or it will never get hot enough. Just kidding, I know there is a difference. About that teapot, is it safe to drink from? To put pictures on here there is a little square with a picture of a landscape (i think?) just above where you compose your posts. I think you can figure it out from there, but it has never let me choose more than five small pictures for the blog, an I usually have trouble loading more than four. I also find it easier to add the pictures after I am done typing, they tend to rearrange themselves while I type if I upload them first. I can't wait to see what you make, If you plan on selling some tell us where!

    ReplyDelete