Hmmmmm, Three hundred words... I don't think I can count higher than ten. Well, If you read my twitter post from a few moments ago, you will know that my original plan failed to appease my parents. My first thoughts when I heard about this project went to Julia & Julie, that movie and book about Julia Child and the amateur chef who goes through her cookbook in a year. Going though the actual cookbook over the summer would be madness, especially for a devout vegetarian who couldn't even watch a lobster die, let alone kill and cook one. My choice of cookbooks led me to the desert section, where I found several that I would love to try, but none that I could complete in three months. The only book I found that looked plausible was The Ghirardelli Chocolate Cookbook. It has a total of eighty-seven recipes, combined, they would overwhelm my summer and escalate grocery bills with all the fancy chocolate. The everyday cooking routine required was out of the question, I have two summer camps planned and a one week vacation with my mom, plus other small events that, despite the fact that I would much rather hide in the kitchen, I will be forced to attend. So, I will have to go with plan- B. Plan-B includes going though as many of these recipes as my parents will allow (about twice a week was agreed upon), and determining my success ratio. For each burnt pan of cookies, how many masterpieces will I create? Or will it be the other way around? As of now, I have a 1:1 ratio. That is right, I have already made two batches of cookies and failed one of them. This was on 6-11-10, the day before my cousin's baby shower. Yes, it was before school ended, but I was too exited by my new cookbook to not want to start. The first section of my cookbook is "Chocolate Cookies", and I dared to make Chocolate Checkerboards and Chocolate-Dipped Lemon Cookies. The lemon cookies came out fine, even if the shortbread was crumbly and the chocolate had some difficulty hardening with the humidity. I consider these minor issues, they were still a hit a the shower and i received many complements on them. The other batch was a different story. I am not sure exactly what went wrong, one sheet turned out undercooked and the other two sheets were overcooked. They all had this in common though: they had melted into puddles as soon as they were heated. I did not notice any major flaws in my measurements I was baking, but I do recall that the dough was sticky and hard to work with even when it had been chilled, and I expected my mixer to yield more dough then it actually did. Looking back, my best guess is that I only used two cups of flour instead of three. As for the one undercooked two over cooked cookie sheet dilemma, it was getting to be late at night, an I was probably not paying too much attention to what I was doing, and I lacked parchment paper.
Thursday, June 17, 2010
Project Idea
Hmmmmm, Three hundred words... I don't think I can count higher than ten. Well, If you read my twitter post from a few moments ago, you will know that my original plan failed to appease my parents. My first thoughts when I heard about this project went to Julia & Julie, that movie and book about Julia Child and the amateur chef who goes through her cookbook in a year. Going though the actual cookbook over the summer would be madness, especially for a devout vegetarian who couldn't even watch a lobster die, let alone kill and cook one. My choice of cookbooks led me to the desert section, where I found several that I would love to try, but none that I could complete in three months. The only book I found that looked plausible was The Ghirardelli Chocolate Cookbook. It has a total of eighty-seven recipes, combined, they would overwhelm my summer and escalate grocery bills with all the fancy chocolate. The everyday cooking routine required was out of the question, I have two summer camps planned and a one week vacation with my mom, plus other small events that, despite the fact that I would much rather hide in the kitchen, I will be forced to attend. So, I will have to go with plan- B. Plan-B includes going though as many of these recipes as my parents will allow (about twice a week was agreed upon), and determining my success ratio. For each burnt pan of cookies, how many masterpieces will I create? Or will it be the other way around? As of now, I have a 1:1 ratio. That is right, I have already made two batches of cookies and failed one of them. This was on 6-11-10, the day before my cousin's baby shower. Yes, it was before school ended, but I was too exited by my new cookbook to not want to start. The first section of my cookbook is "Chocolate Cookies", and I dared to make Chocolate Checkerboards and Chocolate-Dipped Lemon Cookies. The lemon cookies came out fine, even if the shortbread was crumbly and the chocolate had some difficulty hardening with the humidity. I consider these minor issues, they were still a hit a the shower and i received many complements on them. The other batch was a different story. I am not sure exactly what went wrong, one sheet turned out undercooked and the other two sheets were overcooked. They all had this in common though: they had melted into puddles as soon as they were heated. I did not notice any major flaws in my measurements I was baking, but I do recall that the dough was sticky and hard to work with even when it had been chilled, and I expected my mixer to yield more dough then it actually did. Looking back, my best guess is that I only used two cups of flour instead of three. As for the one undercooked two over cooked cookie sheet dilemma, it was getting to be late at night, an I was probably not paying too much attention to what I was doing, and I lacked parchment paper.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I like your project idea! Or, I'm just really hungry. Hey, do you have a plan for the distribution of these cookies? Not because I want them; I'm just thinking this part of it might work its way into your project. Just a thought...
ReplyDelete-BW
Mr. Wilson, It would be fun to distribute my cookies on a large scale but I don't have the resources for that. Elyse did suggest that I donate them to a charity, but I once donated colored eggs to a soup kitchen for easter. they were accepted, but we were asked to bring ingredients to them and not the finished project. I'm also finding that there is always some excuse to bake, we have a lot of parties and gatherings that need food, and if I run out of those, I will just bake for my family or for my parents co-workers. Thank you for the idea though!
ReplyDelete