The minute our Mr. Wilson explained the project I had my idea; go vegetarian. For some reason I’ve always wanted to, I can’t really explain it. Eating meat is almost the Lafountain Family way, but so are health problems. My grandpa loves red meat and if you don’t watch him, he might eat raw red meat. That is so GROSS (sorry g-pa). The difference with me is that I’m such a picky eater, but when it comes to fruits and vegetables you can’t go wrong! I figure it was time to finally take part in a healthy adventure.
Fun Facts: There are different types of vegetarians.
Flexitarians are flexible when it comes to the vegetarian diet and can eat meat once in a while.
Pollo-Vegetarians eat poultry but no other animal flesh or meat.
Pescartarians eat fish but no other animal flesh or meat.
Lacto-ovo Vegetarians refrain from eating all types of meat but do consume eggs and dairy products.
Vegans do not eat meat, eggs, dairy products, or processed foods containing animal-derived ingredients.
Fruitarians only eat the fruit of plants that do not mean death to the plant.
I’ve chosen to become a pescartarian mostly because I think it will be hard to get all the protein I need. So foods like; beans (not just baked beans), eggs, cheese, and fish will all be eaten on a regular basis. I also want to try a bunch of recipes like fish tacos and homemade hummus. My vegetarian friend, Elyse Komarzec, will also be on hand to help me on my adventure. She might give me courage to stay on my path or new delicious foods to try. It won’t be all that easy, but it should be very interesting and entertaining.
Today will be my last day of a normal American diet. I will say my farewell to my favorite meat foods; maple sausage and turkey burgers.
Wednesday, June 30, 2010
Change of Taste
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wonderful! we need more vegetarians on the planet. There are so many more options to getting your nutrients than gnawing on carcasses like a maggot. Just be sure that you take your vitamins or you will end up sleeping for hours more than usual. also, If you plan a road trip, leave room for a cooler. There is nothing worse than pulling into a McDonalds and finding your options limited to a chicken salad, beef flavored french fries, and gelatin (aka ground cow bones) infested parfait. People don't even realize how much they lie when they claim there are vegetarian options at fast food places. Also, don't feel that you have to put up with people who ask if you eat animal crackers.
ReplyDeleteThis looks awesome! Very original and definitely stands apart from others. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteOk seriously, one word: Edamame. It's a bean type of ordeal but it's soo good! I guess it's suppose to give you protein, or that's what Hannah told me since she went lacto-ovo for lent (when you give something up to become more spiritual, ya know.) I just eat them because they taste good, with a little salt or butter, though I'm trying to eat them plain since it's better for you. If you want, you can get them in the frozen food section, kroger (the one by us, I think it's krogers....) Just a suggestion. (:
ReplyDeleteLauren, would you like to come over soon and look through our recipe books? We got TONS! :)
ReplyDelete