Friday, June 18, 2010

Hannah Long's AP IDEA


So, I'm not sure how to work this yet but hopefully this will do something. My idea for this summer won't just help me get a grade but it will also brighten up a community & help those who have lost loved ones. June 22, 2009 a friend of mine passed away and since then I reconnected with my southern upraising. My mom always talked about how beautiful southern cemeteries are because people up north seem to always forget about those who leave us. She would say "If it's fear stopping them from entering a place for the dead they should remember that it ain't the dead that's gonna hurt you, it's the living you need to worry about." Cemetaries should be beautiful. Life is something to celebrate so when it finally ends shouldn't it be remembered? We pass them atleast once a week and looking over them, there really is nothing specatular about them. Somewhere between death and each year's anniveristy we forget that they ever existed. The idea of a loved one in the ground does bring pain but wouldn't it be nice if everytime you visited, a smile would be brought to your face? Flowers aren't going to take away the pain but in time maybe it will help everyone realise how beautiful & precious life really is. So what is my summer goal? I want to raise enough money to decorate a cemetery with flowers. No grave should be left naked for all who pass it to question what type of person they were. With enough donations, I can (in one big sweep) cover a whole cemetary, of probably 200+ graves, with flowers. Seems far fetched but with flowers running at around $6 for a summer selection, I will need roughly $1,500 ($6 per selection x 250 graves). I have a church behind me where I can ask for donations & with enough dancing around outside of grocery stores I should be set. Problem: I need a name for this. A friend gave me an idea of "Flowers for the Fallen". But I'm still open to ideas. Maybe this will even take off. I would love to be able to continue this every year. Start up when the snow goes away and end when the snow kills off my flowers. If I am able to contiue this it won't always be the same spot, new cememtaries should be brightened up. It would be amazing to start a movement but it is also something that I cannot control. I just want to pass the graves and remember how beautiful life is.

Steps

1. Pick a name
2. Get back from my mission trip (June 20- June 25)
3. Make some posters
4. Pick stores that will allow this
5. Set up can drop offs
6. Advertise! Advertise! Advertise!
7. Blog about it
8. Flower drop (I will post that day to see if anyone wants to show up)
9. Change the world!
-All in some order like that

4 comments:

  1. That is a wonderful idea! It would probably mean a lot to the family's of the buried that still visit to know that someone else respects their loved ones. Have you decided which cemetery you will be decorating? I could ask the members of my own church to help you once you are ready to accept donations. You may also want to consider accepting flowers outright in the last week, you may have supporters who would like to share the plants from their own gardens. This is so sweet of you and you are making me feel guilty for not choosing a project a selfless as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are definitely going to make a lot of people happy with this tremendous project. Best of luck to you, and if you need some help picking up flowers, distributing posters, etc., I'd be more than happy to help. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a fan! I'll help dude, you know that. :) I'll donate if you need. God speed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so nice of you! It's such an amazing idea :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete