Tuesday, June 22, 2010

On your mark, get set, go!

So, this is it; the beginning. I'm kicking it off. There's no turning back now. Deep breaths... Okay, here we go...

For the next eight weeks I will be documenting my experiences; advances, set-backs, highs and lows throughout my summer season of cheerleading. My goal is by all means reachable, but whether or not it is reachable within the time frame is basically up to me and is 100% based off how hard I work and how courageous I choose to be.

My desired result is to work insanely hard until I get a tumbling skill; a full to be exact. There's a video below of a girl performing a full in case you, I don't know, just don't give a flying tuck about cheerleading. It's basically a back flip with a hollow body and a complete 360 degree rotation. Simple, right? A flip with a twist, no biggie.





The problem is that with this kind of skill, practice really does make perfect. Muscle memory is key. That's why I know for sure it will take the whole eight weeks to build my muscle memory and generally become comfortable doing this skill on my own. The other main thing, actually the number one thing that is required for me to achieve this goal is complete and utter confidence. Unsure hesitation is literally the biggest downfall, because gravity takes this opportunity to drag you down and, well, make you fall. Another thing that will help me to achieve this goal is eating right, working out, and keeping my body healthy as far as injuries go. These are freaking awesome habits that will just make me into a champ and help me become the best athlete I can be.

So, the challenge is not just a skill, the challenge is much greater. I'm going to change how I eat, exercise more frequently, do endless amounts of twisting drills to get the right muscle memory and technique, go into the gym extra hours to practice, and become confident in myself and in my skills. This is why I chose this goal, because it isn't just another skill to check off the list, it will improve my life in more ways than one. Because of this challenge, I will be happier, healthier, and more confident in myself. If I want to achieve it, there's no time to lose. On your mark, get set, go!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, Shelby! I've seen fulls performed before, but I've never felt like I could do it. It's a pretty impressive skill, and the way you've decided to go about it will definitely improve your health, too!

    I think a good way to show your progress would be not only to blog about it, but to post videos as well. Plus, with a video, you can see where you went wrong and correct it. (i.e. - starting the twist too late, or not getting enough air, et cetera.) Just a thought, though it would be pretty cool to see it when you achieve your goal. :)

    Good luck!
    -Staicee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually pretty interesting, i must admit. Excited to see where this goes. Good luck(:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the luck and duhhhh I should take videos I didn't think of that :) haha

    ReplyDelete