Before I say anything I would like to admit that I am a fully aware that I am an Orchdork. On that note, I have recently discovered just how much I love to play violin. Unfortunately the six years of playing hadn't awoken anything inside of me until now, meaning I have a lot of catching up to do. My goal for this summer is to improve my violin skills.
Every year since seventh grade I have participated in Michigan's District Solo and Ensemble Festival. For anyone that has no idea what it is here's a rundown. S&E is basically an event that you go to and get rated on your skills. You can either play in a group or do a solo. You practice for months on one song of your choosing then play is for a judge who rates you. The rating scale is Five through one. Five is the worst and is rarely given out, meaning if you receive it you just fail, and obviously one is the best. If you receive a one you are eligible to go on to State Solo and Ensemble. I have only received a one once, and for some unknown reason, I was not able to advance to States. Every other year I have only been able to achieve a two. This year I want that to change. I want a one and I want to go to States (and possibly get a one there, although that's a pretty far reach).
This year I plan on doing at least one duet and a solo (which I have never done before). I have never done a solo before due to the fact that it is just pretty scary, but I have gained a little confidence due to making it into Kettering's Chamber Academy and Flint's Youth Symphony Orchestra. Although I have until next February I need all the practice I can get... starting when my sheet music is finally delivered.
You made it into the Flint Youth Symphony? Congrats, Katelin!
ReplyDeleteI think this is a good project. (:
What sheet music did you order?
Ah, another orchestra related project! Great minds think alike! :D
ReplyDeleteNow much is the tuition for for the Flint Youth Symphony? OYO is outrageously expensive, so I'm looking into alternative routes. Congrats on getting in!
I am also interested in what music you ordered. What'd ya get? :)