For my summer project I have decided to push myself to work harder on my ice skating. I have been skating since 7th grade but this is going to be the perfect way to work on my skating program for testing at the end of the summer. I am going to be working on my freestyle program. There are many different components to this test. Spins - Scratch spin, sit spin, and back spin, Jumps - Flip, loop, waltz jump, and toe loop, and timing which is skating to music that I have choosen. While I am on the ice I will be working on all of this but I will also be doing this off ice. I will be stretching to stay flexible and going through all of the steps of the program.
Jumps are going to be one of the hardest elements for me to accomplish in such a short amount of time. When you are learning a new jump you have to do it over and over again but it still could take weeks before you land it. Also, when you test the judges look at more than just if you land the jump or fall, they look at your speed into the jump, the height you had in the jump, and how smoothly you entered and exit the jump. I find spins to be a little bit easier, except for the sit spin. In a sit spin you push on to your left foot with your right leg in front of you. While you are spinning you slowly start to sit. If you can't picture this I have posted a video of a skater doing a sit spin. See this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uddFeaHk8jA
This is not going to be an easy thing to do but I am determined to keep working on this program so that I can pass my freestyle test by the end of the summer.
Cool! how long have you been skating for? where do skate at? do you have a plan for keeping track of your progress? you should record yourself so we can all watch you. Good Luck!
ReplyDeleteThanks!!! I skate at Lakeland and yeah I am thinking about making videos of myself when I learn to do the different jumps and spins.
ReplyDelete