So, I'm a garage sail/salvation army type of girl, I can't help myself, the idea of recycled items for a cheap price is very appealing to me. My aunt, knowing my mom and I are both like this, found an old wooden chest at a garage sail, that needs a lot more then a polish job, and gave it to us to do what we please with it. I immediately was fascinated by this chest, it looked so old I couldn't help but wonder where it has been, if it could tell its own life story what would it be? Maybe that makes me a freak, but like I said, I cant help it. My mom went on the Internet and discovered that because of how aged the chest is the type of key that it requires can no longer be manufactured, of course that spiked my interest even more. I know that the chest can never be locked again but looking at it made me wonder what I could do to preserve this piece of history. So this summer I'm going to restore the beautiful chest and hopefully take it with me when i get my own place so its story doesn't have to end. I know that this probably seems like the most boring thing to spend your summer doing, but for me it will be like learning the story of this chest. i want to merely add on my own section of history to hopefully be passed on to the next person who cant help but wonder, where did this chest begin?
The first though in my head was not to restore the chest, I didn't want to strip away the evidence of history and what I thought was the beauty of the whole thing. After i thought about it for a while i realized most people would throw out such a worn down piece of furniture, that would be such a waist of such a beautiful antique. So restoring the chest seemed like the best action to take, I think its going to prove to be more of a challenge then i thought, i mean I'm not any sort of Carpenter. After a while I'm sure this idea is going to seem a lot less appealing but its worth a try. I don't want to be the reason something so old and so full of stories has to stop its journey short, i want to be the reason that this chest continues its journey and fills with millions of untold stories.
Wow! I didn't think anyone would choose something like this to do their project on, but I guess I was wrong. It's definitely something I would do if I had found it! Really cool that you thought of restoring it, and even better that you chose to do your project on it!
ReplyDeleteIf I could put forth one request...it would be pictures, and lots of 'em!
Best of luck restoring the chest!
-Staicee
Staicee! you stole what I wanted to say! Yes, I agree, we need to see this chest. You reminded me of my own chest. It was in the basement of my stepmom's house before she married my dad. we didn't really restore it, but we took of the paint and put some varnish on it. It's in my room now, and I love it. These are the things you can keep forever, It will probably follow you through dorm rooms, apartments, and homes, until your own kids start fighting over who gets it when you go off to the nursery home. Okay, I admit that was cheesy. But this should be something you remember, all the love you put into this chest and the love of all its former owners. one more thing, please don't make the font that large. well, Good Luck!
ReplyDeleteYou should look into finding its specific history, like where it was made and who made it. Look for any labels or serial numbers on it, they could tell you a lot about it. This is a very unique and exciting project. Who knows, you could very well be the proud owner of a piece of American history!
ReplyDeleteThis is a really cool idea!!!! The salvation army is one of my favorite stores!!!! :)
ReplyDelete