Thursday, September 2, 2010

#8: Compare

Kingsolver's year long project is really something to marvel at. Think about how it would be planning your day around a garden and family meals. I mean, to my understanding, that was her life. Family, Food. She spent so much time on so many minor details it honestly boggled my mind. I could never concentrate that hard on an asparagus leaf. But, whatever floats you're boat. Kingsolver's boat is her garden. My project's work ethic is nothing like her's. The amount and time and energy spent on her project compared to mine is like comparing dogs and cats.

One thing that I have noticed that Kingsolver and I have in common is our habit of writing things down in a journal. Each and every one of my blogs came from an idea hatched from an entry from my journal. Kingsolver kept track of the things that went on in the garden and her livestock daily. Then, she took those entries to help her write a book. Although it is somewhat different because she pretty much literally wrote down everything that happened where I wrote down good blogging ideas. Again with the tedious work her project demanded and how mine didn't.

Some of my blog entries were grown from my passions. Swim, family, friends, music. Okay maybe most of them. They are the easiest to write about because I know so much about them. I also twisted them to relate to an aspect of the teenage summer, because I feel that it was the best way to get my point across. Kingsolver did just that. Write about her passions. She made her passions her life. For a year. I made my passions co-inside with my project for three months. Kind of related? I guess.

Other than the fact that both Kingsolver's project and mine have a beginning and an end, there is honestly no true relation to the projects. They do have some things in common but, there's a difference between relation and in-common.

No comments:

Post a Comment