Two days left! I am almost there! I cant believe school is here already. Well, I haven't actually practiced, at all, since my last blog so I guess at the moment I am blogging about my lack of practice. I go through different phases where practicing my pieces just isn't as fun as practicing what I want. The past few days I have sat down and played the piano, and I have sang but...not the music that my teachers have assigned. I like to sit down at the piano and play old pieces that I already have memorized and can basically play with my eyes closed because it is fun. when I don't have to concentrate and read notes it is relaxing to just let my fingers do all the work. The same thing goes for singing, yes I sing in the shower, who doesn't? But nobody jams out to Italian opera when they are showering, its not my idea of fun. So I have sang and played, just not the music I need to be doing. Listening to music is also another form of practice.
Yesterday I went to Arts Beats ans Eats, I heard a lot of different types of performances, there were people doing Gospel songs, rapping, screaming, there was even an Asian girl dancing while she sang her music...all in a foreign language. So it was definitely really cool to hear all of that, but there was one guy that caught my ear the most. He was a classical guitarist named Russell Donnellon, the way he played was almost as if he was describing emotion itself. He did nothing else, no singing or drums or wind instruments, he sat there in the middle of the crowd and played his heart out on a Spanish guitar. It wasn't how good he was that got to me, though he was very, very good, it was how he played. He wasn't playing because he knew people would like his music, he was playing because it was is life, his true passion. To watch him play brought tears to my eyes, just to see the complete appreciation for the music was indescribable. I have never seen anybody love music so much. So that is why I say listening is a form of practice, you practice to appreciate what you can do and the music you play. Also whenever I get a new piece I always look it up on YouTube just to get an ear for what I am playing. It really does help a lot.
well, I have two blogs left and two days left! so wish me luck! I hope everybody finishes off there summer good!
No comments:
Post a Comment