Summer is almost over and my project is completed. My last post is supposed to connect my project to Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle.
I can't say that my project was as demanding as Barbara Kingsolver's. She went to the extremes for her project by moving and changing her entire lifestyle. Every day was based on her project, whether it be tending to the garden or figuring out what to cook for that day. She was at it every day for a year. My project only lasted three months and required much less time. Kingsolver's project was mostly for herself and her family. They bettered their health while also improving the environment. My project was based on helping others. In that process, I was able to better myself.
The largest connection that mine and Barbara Kingsolver's projects shared was that they were driven by passion. We both focused on something that we love and have strong feelings for. Mine was helping others, and Barbara's was food. Kingsolver and I both had a common goal of changing the world. We knew that we couldn't do it on our own, we were just determined to make a statement. Barbara did her research and wrote a book to encourage her project. She surprised her readers with scary facts and wrote about her project in a way that persuades others to do what she was doing. I may not have wrote a book, but I wrote about my project in a way that encouraged others to also take small steps to better the world. Barbara and I both learned a lot from our projects. She learned how to get food locally, save food and many farming skills. I learned that there are many ways to make a difference in a persons life, even if it's just a smile to brighten their day. There is nothing better than knowing that you made a difference in someones life. It is safe to say that both of our projects were life changing. Most importantly, Barbara and I both found joy in our project. It wasn't the project itself that we had in common, it was what we got out of it.
Over all, my project was a definite success. As soon as Mr. Wilson told us about this project, I knew exactly what I was going to do. Helping others is where my heart is, and I can't imagine doing anything else for this project. Just because summer is coming to an end does not mean that my project has to. I want to continue bettering the world with "Small Steps."
There was this quote that I wrote in my first blog and I am going to repeat it because it is important. "Our fingerprints never fade from the lives we touch." So I leave you with this question: will you take small steps to change a life, or will you just fade away without an impact or a trace?
love it jessie! and i love you :)
ReplyDelete