For the last week I was at church camp, which was great, but i missed being at OATS. Its was strange not being there for almost two weeks since I had been going twice a week before camp started. Yesterday was my first day back to OATS. I was there from 5:30pm-8:30pm, and despite being tired and hot all went well.
Everytime that I have gone to OATS, a sweet little child has always greeted me. It is the sweetest thing. The kids there love everyone which makes them fun to work with. Well yesterday I was leading a child named Spencer. He is around four years old and he is not crazy about the whole horsebacking riding therapy. I was leading the horse Buck, and the thing bit me last time! So I had a nervous child and a grouchy horse:/ Spencer, to my surprise, did well. His dad walked with us the entire time, but compared to last time it was an easy lesson. Spencer likes to keep moving constantly, and when i would stop the horse he would immediately jump at his father to get off. That problem was easy to solve because from that point on we never stopped. Spencer is a great kid. The fisrt time I saw him ride he was a wreck, but it has been about three weeks, and he is much more willing to ride a horse. At the end of each lesson the trainer, Lynn, always says tell the kids to tell their horses thanks. Spencer leaned right on big old Buck and gave him a kiss right on the muzzle. Isn't that adorable?
The last lesson I had a boy named Dillon. He is an independent rider so he only needed me tell him to make turns, look staight, and keep a distance from the other horses. I did not use a lead rope or anything, I simply walked beside him. We made some conversation while he rode, and he said he likes fast horses not slow ones. Buck was a slug yesterday, but he behaved himself for once. At the end I gave Dillon a high five, and he looked up and grinned at me:) Some of the kids at OATS are the sweetest kids I have ever worked with.
From what I have seen so far OATS is a great program. It's awesome to be there and know that you make people smile. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment