I researched a bit on "How to Write a Children's Book" this week. It may sound lame, but it was actually insightful. In one of the articles I read it talked about rhythm and flow. Which makes total sense, but I guess I hadn't really thought about it. It's like a poem. When you read it there's a rhyme scheme that carries you through. When reading a children's book it's similar because they're mostly meant to be read out loud so your voice has to carry the interest of the story over to the next page. That was just one of the many tid bits that I have to consider and think about when I'm writing. My other goal this week was to develope the main story idea. The direct result to this was me going insane because in all my life whenever I wanted to write a new story (or eherm book) it was because of an idea that had randomly hit me and inspired me to begin writing it down (which tends to happen quite frequently). I never have to really think about an idea and in my opinion with any fictional novel or story you shouldn't have to think about it because it should be something that comes naturally. This was completely different. I looked at story books and reminisced about my childhood memories, watched TV shows targeted towards a younger audience all in hopes of trying to have something come to me, but I was still coming up blank. I thought about a story I had begun writing a while back about a girl named Lillian (Lilly for short naturally) who has a troubled life at home and ends up "dreaming" of a different world that she lived in which was actually a reality her *cough* "fairy" *cough* godmother ends up rendering her to. I obviously didn't get far enough to sort out the kinks. (You can read the beginning at: www.writerscafe.org/writing/jukebox540483/440358 ) I don't know why this story came to me in the midst of all the other's I had written or had ideas for, but I think the childish nature and innocence I had in my mind when I came up with the idea was what made it seem more idealistic. Doubt kept creeping into my mind though. I want to be photographing my illustrations preferably over drawing them so how was I going to take photos and make them relatable to the story since they are such a big part of a picture book? I had no idea (and still don't :) ... ahh the beauty of the unknown) I also questioned how I was going to loose the mature feel of a teenage girl getting past the struggles and trials of family life and still keep the story idea intact. There was obviously no way I could add the maturity because it wouldn't be relatable to the child which is something I wanted to be a big part of this book. In fact this was probably the point at which I made my lovely list of things I wanted this story to be based upon.
Go on and take a peek...
1.) No matter what I don't want an overdone fairytale feel. It must be relatable to the child.
2.) Mushrooms (I'm not sure if you're thinking on the same page as me when you read this ... I'm not talking about the '60s', thank you, I'm referring to the ones you typically see having bright colors in fictional fantasy stories ... I happen to be fascinated by them ... once again on the same page?)
3.) A sense of magic whether make belive of real
4.) Perhaps rhyming
5.) It has to have an actual plot with meaning
6.) There always has to be an antagonist ... so I want monsters. Even for a child there are monsters that are in his life. Even if it's the monsters under his bed or the "sudden" appearance of a shadow that gives a fright. This was what got me to the point that really put my story into perspective and got the line of it rolling. So I'm not going to tell you what my story is and give you a full summary for it yet because to be honest I can't ... I haven't written it yet so I don't know how things will change or which way the plot will twist and turn, but you have a pretty good idea of its contents by now and my intent.
I have to admit this week I struggled with the question "Is this what he wants?" I wondered if this was too easy of a project because it was just a children's picture story book. Of course that was the question I struggled with the whole time I was trying to come up with a project. I wanted something that would impact the world and be a benefit to those subject to it. I guess I gravitated towards what I do best: writing (and perhaps taking pictures). It's what I want to do with my life and I have to figure out how I can impact the world with just me, a pen, and paper no matter what so why not try to focus on that now? That's a project in and of itself that could take a lifetime. I think that if a story I write can touch just one person in a spectacular way then it was all worth it. I suppose that even if it is just a children's story picture book that it can still make a difference. Either way I tried something new that I probably wouldn't have done before and it was a new experience. I guess that's the only justification I have either way, but I think it's the only thing I'll need. :)
P.S. I read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle for a couple of hours today. Interesting fun fact, Barbara Kingsolver's youngest daughter is named Lily ... thought it was interesting since that's the name of the character in my story (my character has double 'Ls' though - specifics are everything to a writer ;D).
I had no idea that a children's book was so much work, they seem so simple. It makes sense now that you explain it though. will this be about humans though? It seemed like all of my favorite stories as a child were about animals. Just a suggestion.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry to be getting to your comment at ... the end of summer. I actually just figured out how to use Blogger - other than posting of course. With that said, I just noticed your comment. Yes, they do seem like they would be easy, but there are many complexities that are added into the mixture of it all. I wish I could have given you my thoughts when I wrote this entry, but it's a bit late and now the story is already completed. I think I had originally intended it to be a story about a human so that the relatability factor to the child was high. I also had to be able to incorporate my photography into the storyline. If I can't take a picture of it or create an illusion that I can take a picture of for the illustrations it would be very difficult. The thought of animals had crossed my mind, but there were too many questions and problems that came up. I also wasn't interested in writing a fable despite that I have many underlying morals intertwined. Many stories about animals were my favorites too - especially Billy Goat Gruff. If you're interested in reading the finished story here is a link (it does not include pictures because the only way to copyright them is to put a watermark over them which makes it difficult to view the picture and there is no way to place them in their correct spot throughout the text...): http://www.writerscafe.org/writing/jukebox540483/595752/
ReplyDelete