Saturday, July 24, 2010

Umm, 3rd post, I thinkk.

Instead of telling you what I'm doing this week, I'm more telling you what happened because I forgot how to get on this blog all week, I had to go back through all my emails. :P

So, I actually feel like I had a huge break through with my project this week. Early in the week my dad and I called my Uncle Jerry and also my Aunt Fay. One of them gave me a suit case they had from my grandma Marianne on my dad's side. First of all, let me tell you she had great taste; she was obsessed with blue just as much as I am! Blue suit case, blue wallet, another blue flower wallet, and a beautiful blue ring that I am currently wearing and plan on keeping close. The suit case also holds post cards, some cheap necklaces and a TON of letters. The only problem is, all the letters are in German. Its really cool in a way, but I don't know if I'm going to be able to translate some of them due to water damage but mainly messy cursive. Its easier to translate when you know what words make the most sense. It might have to wait until school gets back in, maybe I'll give Mr Frank a project when he is making us watch videos or something.

Another really important paper I found in the suit case was addresses for my grandma and grandpa and their full names before they came to America and had thier last name changed. Want to hear what my last name should be instead of Harris? Its Herszlikowicz. For a long time my dad knew how to say it kind of but never could actually spell it. I wonder why... but anyway, we found this out from postage stamps from Detriot that my grandpa was sending to my grandma back in Germany. Before this I thought they came to America at the same time, so its really cool seeing the post card of the ship my grandma took over here. I guess there were letters right up until she arrived here.

Next week I'm going to be in Menapolis for a mission trip so I won't be able to do much, I don't know if I'll have anything to blog about when I get back. I was going to photo copy the letters and read them on the drive but since they are in german, it doesn't seem too likely. I'll probably just start the books, I started the animal one at the begining of summer and haven't given it a second thought since. I haven't even found the in fact book, so I'm just borrowing Kim's on the drive. Maybe the saterday I get back I'll go to a hollocaust musuem, who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment