It's me, the kid who's writing a book about Black Friday.
Unfortunately, the first week I planned to really buckle down on the writing of my book, I ended up having little time. My sister and brother-in-law (with whom I live) repeatedly dragged me out of the house to go cruising in a '66 Cadillac. No, it wasn't that fun. It was actually a bit boring. And then what happens on Friday, the day I plan to blog about the two pages I managed to get out of my pen? THE POWER GOES OUT. 3, 4 IN THE MORNING, I WAKE UP TO MY SISTER KNOCKING ON MY DOOR, TO TELL ME THAT SOMETHING'S WRONG WITH THE POWER AND WARNING ME TO UNPLUG ALL OF MY STUFF. Something was wrong, oh yes indeedy: the power was dipping in and out of consciousness. The lights flashed. My cell phone, which makes a noise when hooked up to a charger, made that noise again and again, which freaked me out quite a bit. To make matters even more complicated, only HALF the power was going on and off, the rest of it was gone. So we unplugged everything. Me, my sister, and the bro-in-law fled to the garage with the dogs to figure out what was going on. The electric box was warm and making a strange noise, if that helps.
Well, ladies and gentlemen, the power returned yesterday. Except that I do believe my sister's PC is fried, and yesterday was my sister's b-day (40, for anyone who cares) so I had no time to come to the library and blog/tweet. Thus, my once-a-week blog will be upped to twice-a-week for this week to make up for last week. But today I have made it to the library, and I apologize to everyone, including Mr. Wilson, for these setbacks. And so, my progress report:
As I have already said, I did not make much progress last week. But I did manage to crank out a good sequence involving a passerby taking a picture of my two heroes of my little shopping-adventure tale. So far, I have introduced the two principal characters. I believe I will have six in all (possibly seven). I have also written little events to help my characters pass the time until their first neighbor in line arrives (including the aforementioned incident involving the passerby). I have yet to brainstorm exactly what situations my characters will face, how their dialog will drive the plot, etc. In fact, I have yet to brainstorm my characters period. First, I need to figure out to the T what my characters are like. I only have fragments of the two main characters, whom, of course, are partly based on me and my friend, which gives me a starting point. Once I have my characters down, I can start really developing the story, and I will be rewriting what I have already written, plus introducing any themes I may note. (Some of this will come after the summer's over and this project ends though.....less worried about drafting than I am about just finishing it. Doesn't have to be perfect the first go.) Of course, I'll be working on what I can of this as fast as possible. :/
I plan on digging out my issues of The Writer this week, to get ideas on how to develop my memories into the book (I clearly remember there being an article on this in one of my issues). So I will be shaking that tree and we will see what has fallen out on Friday, when I will return to the library and their plethora of PCs. Once again, I apologize for my absence. Good luck on your projects, everyone.
UPDATE: PC IS NOT FRIED. FOUND IT UP AND RUNNING THIS MORNING. NVM. :
No comments:
Post a Comment