Saturday, July 10, 2010

Smile! (second post)

Hey guys, so the first week of my project went really well. The main goal of this past week was to continue my research on sending letters to the soldiers overseas and actually sit down and write the letters. In these letters I wrote about how much I appreciate everything that the soldiers do and how much they risk everyday for our country. I also said that I hope a simple letter of thanks would brighten their day even just a little. The website that I have found that helps you to send letters like mine to the soldiers is called Any Soldier Inc. This company lets you choose the name of a soldier and it gives you the address and you send your letter directly to them. You can also send care packages with items that your soldier needs, which I want to do as well. I think that by being able to select a couple of soldiers to send thank you letters to and knowing the names of these soldiers will make this experience more personable. I also hope that it will make more of an impact in their lives and in mine. I really hope that i get a response from one or more of these soldiers, because I think that it would be really cool.

As much as I love the name that I came up with for this project, Operation Smile, apparently it's not original. There is already an organization called Operation Smile which is a children's charity that treats facial deformities such as cleft lips and cleft palates all around the world. So, even though it's probably not a big deal, in respect to this charity I'm going to change the name of my project to simply "Smile!"

This week for my project I am going to: Send the letters I have written (and write some more) to the soldiers that I select, sign up to volunteer for Habitat for Humanity of Oakland County, and volunteer with a youth group from North Carolina at the Baldwin Center of Pontiac.

Here we go :)

No comments:

Post a Comment