Saturday, July 17, 2010

Voldemor' and Nicolas Flamel

I haven't blogged recently because I don't have much to blog about. Just notes and research. I haven't written much yet because I've been getting everything together and organized. Earlier this week I finished the Harry Potter series for the millionth time. Finally. It took a lot longer because of all my note taking (you can see a little bit of that in the picture on the side) and research and everything. I even found a few errors, which made me feel pretty awesome, I must admit... :) But they were trivial and I'm sure no one else really cares about them. Almost all of JKR's mistakes involved time and numbers. I'd talk about them but I'd rather not bore the pants off of you all, so instead I'll just put them in the book somewhere. Or on my wizards vs. vampires blog.

 I just found out Nicolas Flamel was real! Cool isn't it? Well it is to me... Now I feel really stupid for not looking him up earlier. He's alluded to quite often, like in The Da Vinci Code and Indiana Jones and the Philospher's Stone (sound familiar?). Stories about his life parallel the one Rowling uses in HP1, so I'm assuming she read up on him while writing the book. Flamel was a celebrated alchemist and many believed he succeeded in creating a Philospher's Stone. And his wife's name really was Perenelle, which JKR used. I think it's cool that she went into that much detail. Anyways, on Wikipedia it says: "The essence of his reputation is that he succeeded at the two magical goals of alchemy -- that he made the Philosophers' Stone, which turns lead into gold, and that he and his wife Perenelle achieved immortality through the 'Elixir of Life'." But he died, of course. It's rumored that his grave is empty and he's still walking around with us, though, so watch your backs. I thought it was pretty cool that JK Rowling incorporated his story into her own.

Oh, and apparently we've all been pronouncing Voldemort's name wrong. Not that we're supposed to say it anyways, but according to JKR, the 't' is supposed to be silent. She also said she is the only one who actually pronounces it "Vol-de-more", which is probably true. Even in the movies his name is "Vol-de-mort". But I just thought I'd mention it. So now everyone knows... I guess I've been saying it wrong since about first grade. How sad. :(

Below is the link to my own blog. It's not about my life or anything, it's all about my project. Right now there isn't much to look at but I'll be adding little things later this week when I get time. I'll start posting some videos and pictures, too, so I'd appreciate it if some people would follow and comment and make it seem a little less pathetic. :) Please!
My Wizards vs. Vampires Blog

So right now I'm reading Twilight. I've only made it to page 13. I would say that's a bad omen, considering Trelawny said 13 is an unlucky number... I've been reading it for a while, but I just keep finding things to complain about. That's probably because I'm analyzing everything insane thing Bella says.  Or maybe because she's so depressing. I don't know how I got through this the first time, but I admit I actually liked it then. Oh well... :)

I hope everyone's having fun on summer vacation, good luck with your projects!

No comments:

Post a Comment