A little background: I started running as an adult. Hated running as a kid. Found it boring and pointless and always felt as if you should only run for two reasons:
1. You were actually participating in a SPORT that required you to run around.
2. You were being chased by a bigger kid who may or may not be concealing a weapon.
I'm always impressed with teenagers who have the commitment to run cross country or track. It can be REALLY boring if you have better things to do. But about five years ago, I started running as an escape. It allowed me to have a purpose for alone time, which seems to be a requirement as an adult. When my wife and I had our first child four years ago, that alone time became downright CHERISHED. (By the way, I love my wife and both my kids! I swear! And I'm not just saying that because my wife is sitting next to me and shooting me dirty looks!).
Anyway, I'm by no means fast, I admit. Today, for instance, I ran just over three miles at about a 9:30/mile pace. That's about as good as it gets for me at that distance. Last year I ran the Detroit half-marathon (13.1 miles) in 2:26, which was 23 minutes faster than the first time I ran it, in 2008. I'm still not exactly sure why I decided to sign up for the full marathon, but it probably has a lot to do with me not getting any younger. It's been in the back of my head for a while now, and I'm sort of starting to feel as if I might be past my running prime if I wait too many more years.
Problematic, though, is the fact that I have never run further than that 13.1 miles. So I'm a little nervous about doubling that in the next few months. In my training, I'm running basically one long route per week, and I'm up to about 11 miles on those runs. My shins and ankles are pretty lousy, so I don't really run very often; usually just two or three runs a week.
On Sunday I'm running the 'Muddy Buddy' in Rochester with my cousin's husband. Apparently, my cousin broke her arm playing soccer, and I volunteered to be her replacement. It's half running and half biking, and ends with you crawling through a mud pit with your partner. The only thing I can say about biking is that I do actually own a bike. It's hanging upside down in my garage, and I should probably get it down tomorrow. I will blog about that race next week, plus I'd like to start getting into some running specifics. Till then,
BW
Good luck! :) I love biking so much! I went on a week long, 200 mile camping/rode biking trip this summer!! :)
ReplyDelete