Wednesday, July 14, 2010
The Big Picture
This week was quite hectic in many ways, but I think I was able to sort out a lot of the ideas I had and began developing them to a certain point. I selected my main characters, named them, and delved into their personality profiles. I became a philosopher and questioned my motives. What morals and themes do I want my story to focus on and reveal? I suppose it had a lot to do with fear, bravery, and trust. Due to a child's innocence many things can frighten them as opposed to someone older and wiser. Years and time are what build and strengthen the capacity for understanding so things are not always what they may seem to youthful eyes. It also had to do with the bravery they found in themselves to conquer and overcome their fears and a trusting relationship that can be reassuring, supportive, and an encouragement. Every child was afraid of the dark or thought that there was a monster hiding under their bed. I remember I did (sometimes I still am if the movie was scary enough ;]), but after the first few times when it was scary enough to shed a few tears and call for a protective mom or dad to come to the rescue, eventually, the twisted dark shapes turned out to be nothing more than a shirt on a hanger and the screeching on the window was nothing more than a tree branch the wind kept moving. It just took bravery to turn on the light switch and pull open the blinds. It all originated with trust. Perhaps a hummed melody to get me to drift off to sleep and dream happy thoughts. No more monsters. No more fears. Just imagination. I think this story will be a compilation of aspects that the reader could think and focus on. I'm hoping it turns out to be a story not only the child will enjoy, but also the owner of the lap that child is sitting on and of the voice reading the words out loud. A child may not understand all of the messages, but that's okay because someone will and for all I know the child could pick that book up 10 or 15 years later and it could bring back memories. That's when they might decide to really take in the big picture, but for now in the present just one picture per page at a time is fine. I think I'm ready to start writing now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment