Friday, July 23, 2010

Post 4: Reaching the Children

Every year my church puts on a camp for young children called Vacation Bible School. At this summer camp, kids become closer to God and closer to each other. My big project for the past week was being a counselor :) I helped set everything up for the camp by making packets, crafts and stage set ups. When the kids arrived, I basically just hung out with them and kept order. We did a lot of different activities. We watched and put on plays, made crafts, learned bible stories, ate snacks, sang and played instruments and even jumped in a bounce house. All of the little kids were soooooo CUTE, but there were three that really stood out. Two were little girls, one named Addie and the other Alayna. They always had a huge smile on there face and were very welcoming to the other kids. They always wanted to hold my hand and sit on my lap, they were total sweethearts. The third was a little boy named Brenden, he was exactly the opposite. In the beginning, he was always mad. When we would sing, he would pout and yell "Stop singing!" Even though he was acting like a little booger, I knew that deep down he was a sweet boy. Later in the week, we sang a song that had hand motions. One of the motions was strong, so we flexed our muscles and acted tough. Of course, he was mad because we were singing. I looked at him and flexed my muscles with a tough scary face. He started laughing and doing it back at me, before I knew it he was a happy camper :) Sadly, today is the last day of Vacation bible School. I have helped young children reach God and have a good time with their friends. It has felt so good to see the smiles on their faces!
The past week I also continued to instruct in ballet classes. This week one of the girls had a loose tooth and we spent almost the entire class trying to pull it out. Of course it was her front tooth, so the whole time she was saying "My toof isth loosth!" I also helped coach my little sisters softball team. We had a team bonding event at the wave pool today, it was fun but was cut short on a count of rain.
This week I am attending a church camp called New Wilmington Mission Conference (NWMC for short) where I will do mission work myself and also learn about how others are bettering the world. I am so excited, it is always a blast and it is so cool to hear stories from missionaries from all over the world. I also get a chance to meet Christian kids my age from all over America. It is so nice making new friendships every year and meeting people that I have so much in common with. I will speak more about this next week, I don't want to give too much away.

1 comment:

  1. Those little kids sound so cute! They kind of remind me of some characters in a book I read by Eve Ibbotson... don't tell anyone I was reading cheesy romance novels though!

    ReplyDelete