Saturday, July 17, 2010

Second Post!

I know it has been a long time since my last post, but things didn't quite go as planned. I had a very hectic week between basketball, work, and my AAU team. After my last post I had to find a jump training program and that happened to take more time than I imagined. Well I called VIP training on Dixie highway and they said they do a specific program to increase verticals. I scheduled my fitness evaluation for the following Wednesday and was ready to go to work. I arrived at VIP only to be told I needed my parents to fill out paperwork, needless to say my parents were at work. I then rescheduled for Friday and hoped nothing else could possibly go wrong.
So yesterday (Friday) was my first day. I didn't realize that I could be in such great shape but yet still be out of shape. When I got there I simply jumped rope for my warm up and learned that jumping rope is way more effective at burning calories than running. After my warm up it was time for 40 yard sprint. My trainer Adam told me that my goal is under 5 seconds, my fastest time was 5.15 seconds, not horrible but I definitely need to improve. We headed back inside to do some jumping. I did a series of box jumps (with and without bands), hexagon jumps, and proper landing jumps. Once I completed all of those exercises, I finally got to measure my vertical jump. My starting vertical is 18 inches, I am 5'9" and I could touch the 9' mark on the pole. I was actually very surprised because that only means 12 more inches until the basketball rim. I lifted some weights and learned form is better than how much you actually lift and a bunch of other little things I never would have thought of. Once my evaluation was over my Dad, Adam, and myself sat down and started discussing the entire program. I am signed up for the one month program, so 4 sessions (once a week). My Dad figured after 4 times I would be able to continue on my own without having to pay for the training. My jump training program includes: a food log where I have to write down everything I eat to make sure I'm getting the proper nutrition, My once a week killer workout session with Adam, and lastly my homework because I'm not going to increase anything by just practicing once a week. My next session is Thursday for 2 hours so I will have plenty to write about!
Until next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment