Saturday, July 3, 2010

Training Day

Wednesday was my first day at OATS :) I believe it went well, but it was strange being around horses again. I do not know why but on the way there my head was filled with worry. OATS is different from any horse ranch that I had ever been too, so my fear was not knowing what would happen. At the end of the day though I discovered the worry was for nothing. This is what happened....



My dad and I were driving and, eventually we reached the street where OATS was located on. Now the farm was not out in the open and at first it was hard to find. We started driving down different streets to see if we had the wrong address but still nothing. Eventually my dad turned the car around, and on the way back we thankfully found OATS nestled in a little driveway surrounded by trees. Then we pulled into the drive and there were already kids on horses in the ring. I was excited, but at the same time my nerves were kicking in. Next I got out of the car and I met the owner named Nancy, and another first time volunteer named Andrea. After we were introduced, my hands on training began in the ring with the kids and horses. I looked around and all I saw were western saddles. I knew this may be different because I had only ridden english before. Nancy showed me how to handle the horse and rider and then she sent me on my way to try myself. Unfortunately there were not enough kids so I lead around another volunteer named Jayson. After that the trainer in the ring made us switch leader and rider so then it was my turn to ride Buck.



Then another group of riders came in and I was given the responsibility to lead around a precious young girl named suzie. Suzie has cerebral palsy so along with me leading the horse she also had to have a sidewalker on each side. Watching at first was really sad, but honestly she was always smiling. I would ask if she was ok, she would smile. I would ask her to keep hold of her reins she would smile. I thought that was awesome how happy she was. When I first saw her come into the barn to mount a horse someone was helping her walk, and it was hard to believe that she would be able to ride such a powerful animal. Suzie did it though, she even trotted which was very cool. Meeting Suzie was great and watching her being able to ride was inspiring. When I helped dismounting her I thought it was so cute, because she still looked at me and smiled!



OATS is amazing. It's not a big Flashy type of place, it is just open and peaceful. The trainers and other volunteers I met were all very helpful and the students were so sweet just as I had predicted. This is only the beginning so there was not a lot kids to meet, or much to say, but as time goes there will be more kids and new stories to tell. :) In the end there was nothing to be worried about. I am curious about what will happen the next time, but I'm happy to be going back again :)

3 comments:

  1. thats so cool that your doing oats kristi, my cousin used to do it and he said it was amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really Amazing! I'm glad everything is working out for you! Could you take pictures of some of the horses please? Good luck working there, it sounds exiting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is really cool!! I have a cousin who has cerebral palsy, and I wish he could be involved in something like this!

    ReplyDelete