Saturday, July 24, 2010

Update/book review?

Not too much to say about my project sadly. Procrastination is still getting the best of me. I started out nicely in the beginning of my summer. Doing something active at least 5 out of the 7 days in a week. But it's died down. Going back into old habits. I'll give my self a nice kick start very soon. Like after the mission trip. :)

So yeah. Update! I will be gone all next week. No cell phone, no internet. Just me, some friends and a bucket of paint. Mission trip to Minnesota! Sounds dull, but I'm expecting to have a killer time. I'm all packed and ready to go. We're leaving tomorrow at 5am. Twelve hours of driving...fun. But that gives me loads of time to read (and sleep) so I'm ready for some total project action. It's doubtful that I'll get any intense physical activity, but I'll have minimal down time, so at least I'll be kept moving. I'm bringing my journal and I plan on documenting the trip. (That journals becoming more of a "Summer Fun" diary as appose to weight loss documentation. Whoops.)

So I haven't been totally procrastinating this week. I did, in fact, start Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. I'm feeling quite proud, I got past the first 4 pages. I'd tried starting it many times before, but my attention span wouldn't allow it. Now I'm almost done with the first chapter. (Pathetic, I know.) I'm surprised to say that it's not boring me to tears. It's still minorly boring, mostly because of the small print and the entirety of the content, but it's also sort of interesting. As dull as vegetables and farming sound, I'm learning stuff from this book. It's kind of cool to hear about how wasteful, lazy and gross our country is. I mean, I was aware, but its nice to know other people are as well. I don't know if I'll totally enjoy the book, but I will be able to get through it, and I'll walk away with some interesting facts and something to think about.

And the book also gave me an idea. I'm thinking that if I could eat at least one organic meal a day I could contribute to Kingsolver's vision. And it would be healthier for me, I'm assuming. It may cost more, but I'm willing to try it. So when I get back from Minnesota I'm going to try and do the organic thing AND I'm going to hit the gym again. I need to get back into that routine, the one I was in at the beginning of the summer. I think this was my 5th blog post? I'm not sure. But whatever. Laterrrr. :)


"If every U.S. citizen ate just one meal a week (any meal) composed of locally and organically raised meats and produce, we would reduce our country's oil consumption by over 1.1 million barrels of oil every week." -Steven L. Hopp

No comments:

Post a Comment