Friday, July 9, 2010

Second Post: Family Remedy

The teenage population of today often feels pressured. I know, you've heard that once or twice before, I get it. But I'm not talking about alcohol, not drugs or sex. I'm not talking about poppin' pills or vandalization. I'm talking about something much more important- family time. Believe it or not, studies have shown that eating at least one meal a day with the people in your house can help prevent teens from abusing alcohol, drugs and yep, you guessed it: sexual intercourse :). Actually having a regular, family meal, in the actual dining room, without the T.V. on may sound strange to some people, but family time is proven to increase positivity and better your life.

So just spend more time with the family, right? That easy? I mean, what is there thats more important? Well boys and girls, to a sixteen-year-old, there's a LOT more things that are more important. Basically, being at home is downright boring. Out with friends everyday seems much more important then rotting away in front of the computer screen every day or waiting around for mom to give you another chore. The thing is, its not even about having friends anymore. It's about how many friends you have. Quantity over quality. Having more friends means more parties, more car rides, more vacations, more FUN. In a way, this statement is correct. Teens don't want to spend their summer locked away into their house, this is the time to be free. But what happens when all of those acquaintances are gone?

When it comes down to the raw, harsh reality, family will always be there. As much as it's hard to admit, teens won't always have friends there for them. In time, friendships will drift, and sooner or later, high school will be over and in turn, teens grow out of that go-go-go mode. It's not worth it to damage relationships with the people that will be in your life pretty much forever. Family members you have to deal with, forever. Teenagers should challenge themselves to eat at least ONE meal a day with their families. It's really not too much to ask, and mom will appreciate some time to catch up with you. She misses you. You owe it to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment