Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Well, i do not envy teachers.

I admit, i have taking my teachers for granted. This tutoring thing has really taken a toll on me, and i only tutor for about an hour a week. I can't imagine teaching as a full time job. Now that may sound like nothing, teaching only for 1 hour, but it's the behind the scenes effort that really gets you. I had no clue how much work goes into planning a lesson. In order for it to be effective it takes quite a lot of thought.

Since I am no expert by any means i find it helpful to bounce ideas off of my family members of which are teachers themselves. Week one went well. I started by giving a practice test, and taking the same test. Taking and giving the test gave me a solid base to work from. It gave me ideas of how to plan, what to teach, what to skip ect. I found the ACT practice booklet by the princeton review very helpful, and the DVD very informational.

Along with tutoring i did some side research on some ACT Myths, unlike popular belief... C is not always the answer! haha, In all honesty though, there were a lot of good hints on preparing for the ACT... GRAMMAR, GRAMMAR, GRAMMAR, just because it sounds right, doesn't mean it is. So i need to go over the rules for writing with the student. Plugging in the answer backwards for math not only doesn't always work, but takes to long on the times tests. So basic math and logic will also be on the list of things to go over. It is my hope that this little ACT adventure will help me, and the student to better on it in the fall. Please give me any ideas of feedback, it would be appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment