Saturday, July 3, 2010

The Beginning

Well. Here I find myself blogging- Who knows what I'll be doing next. I'm starting to become somewhat of an insult to myself. But, without further adieu, I present to you: The idea!


I love ants. Ants greatly intrigue me, and so, because I have run out of all other options if I am to be original, I am going to build a massive ant farm over the summer. I will be creating the container, catching the ants (I am not worried about this.. Perhaps I will even get a queen, later in the summer), and observing their progress/survival. My purpose in this project is mainly motivated by the prospect of learning about ants firsthand. I expect this will be an odd project.

And, I suppose that is it. I am going to leave much to my moment's judgement, to be honest. I don't care to plan much out, apart from when I will be doing everything. I want to have the ant farm created and filled with dirt by July 20. After that, it is a matter of catching ants and adding them weekly, since they will die quite quickly with no means to reproduce. I imagine I will attempt to catch the queen (If I do decide to) later in the summer, when the Late Summer Flight takes place. This is when the new queens are kicked out of their anthills to begin their own.

Now, I haven't really researched this idea much, so I will do that this week, and get back to you next week upon what I will need to be purchasing, how I'm going to go about doing this exactly, etc. I will continue this blog with a change of subject. I'm going to tell you about me. Oh, I know, this will be terribly boring- Trust me, I know!

Why do I want to talk about myself? Because I'm ashamed that I've been reduced to blogging, and apparently tweeting as well. I write because I want to write for myself, not to throw myself out to you, Kettering student body- Who is known all too often to judge and obliterate personalities. For this reason, I won't post any further things about myself. No "Oh, my life is terrible, my high school sweetheart broke up with me!", nothing about my issues, my dreadful condition. So, indulge, internet readers... You will get no more of this.

I consider writing to be my passion. I am too realistic to pursue music as a future, as it is entirely unlikely that anyone will care to listen to you, even though I love it so. Writing, I think, holds more promise to me. I am placing almost everything I have in writing. I will not be attending college, I will instead pursue this. So, now you know exactly the weight this art pulls within my life.

To move on, I am trying to distance myself from society in general, as well as everyone at Kettering. So, this blog is a painful endeavor for me... It is going against what I am attempting. Therefore, I am not a fan of this. "Why?", you might ask? People aren't worth the effort, they aren't worth the trust. This is just an extreme version of something that has always been buried within my nature: An overwhelming need for security. I never have, and I never will, open up to anyone. This could be cause for my current state, or it may not be. I leave that decision up to people who understand me better than myself.

I am going to end this entry with an insight as to how I will go about making this project interesting. I must say, tweeting suicidal entries as a joke did, in fact, cross my mind. Guess I won't do that, I don't care to get reported in to counseling- Haha. I figure that I will end every blog with a useless bit of information for you, masses, to consume. I think I will also add a music link representing how I am feeling as I post this. I have a terrible habit (and an undeniable love) for sharing music, so I am sure this will sate my need.

My most useless fact at the moment: 55.1% of all U.S. prisoners are in prison due to drug offenses. How's that for War on Drugs, U.S. Government?!


5 comments:

  1. Hey Joe, nice to see a good long post from someone who is likewise passionate about writing. I'm certain your ants will bring a bit of joy to this blog! I would love to see pictures, especially if you could write captions for them! Maybe you could label your favorites! (And give them names!!) However, I do have a few criticisms for your post here, and hopefully they'll help you grow as a writer and as a person.

    First, whether you plan to distance yourself from society or not, one should not make a practice of making enemies before even meeting people. For example, saying that pursuing a career in music is unrealistic because no one would want to hear another talented artist. I happen to personally know a couple of people who have decided to dedicate their project to music - and a few who haven't - that are quite good at their chosen instruments for their age; with enough desire to succeed in their field they would prove to be very gifted musicians.

    Second, you may want to watch for contradictory statements in your writing. It may just be my nitpicking, but some ideas you expressed just didn't coincide and it was a bit confusing. (i.e. - "I don't care to plan much out, apart from when I will be doing everything. I want to have the ant farm created and filled with dirt by July 20." Having things done by a certain date constitutes a plan. Note that this is not the only instance, and I can provide multiple others if you wish.)

    My third point is simple: music videos and random facts do not in any way add to the substance of your project, nor will they be likely to be counted in the required three hundred words for each blog-based update. I'm pretty certain 55.1% of prison inmates do not have ant farms, nor do they colonize like the worker ant, so it's irrelevant.

    Last, on a personal level, separating yourself from society is not the best way to deal with trust issues. Avoiding people is not a way to solve the conflict, but to run from it. Instead, focus on the relationships you have with people from day to day. Start with a family member, like your mom, if you'd like. See if you can trust her with small things first, like to say hello back when you greet her. Gradually move on to other things, perhaps being able to trust that your friend won't poison your food. No one needs to know your deep personal secrets or every aspect of your life - my friends certainly don't. And that's fine, because they don't need to know everything to know that they like me and don't wish to poison my drinking water at every opportunity. Just cut whoever proves to be unworthy of your trust out of your life, and keep those who are. :)))))))

    By the way, it's kinda funny that you're passionate about writing, yet hate to blog, which is essentially writing on the internet. :P

    ~Staicee

    P.S. - It'd be quite a unique experience if we were to end up classmates! Looking forward to fall!! :DDDDD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe, I have to say, you do not seem passionate about this project at all. In fact, I thought your blog was more of a way for you to express your unhappiness. Your own problems seem to be affecting your project. If ants actually do please you, then I wouldn't have a problem with your building an ant farm. However, your last five paragraphs were all about how depressed you are and how you want to separate yourself from society. This causes me to believe that you just chose this child-like project simply to spite those of us who care. If you have some personal issues, you need to open up and talk to someone about them, not insult us all. I have learned over the years that I am much more happy when I trust my friends to help me with my troubles. Isolating yourself will only make you a bitter person and you will make many enemies. I hope that you figure your problems out, because hearing you moan is annoying. Sorry for being so blunt, but if you can't take this class seriously, drop out and take the simple class. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I'm sure you expected, Joe, I completely agree with Ocean. When you go out of your way to try to find reasons to hate someone (hair dying sound familiar? lawl), you're just going to end up bitter, and, surprise, alone. If you don't let anyone in, of course you aren't going to find someone "worth" your trust.
    Also, I really hope you consider yourself part of "the Kettering student body" when you talk about judging personalities. Because you, as you have a history of, are doing just that.
    Anyway, enough of bringing our personal issues into LA before school even starts. Ashley's gonna facepalm when she sees this. Good luck with your ants, Joe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I share the same pursuit of a writing career Joe. Sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe you should research about different ants in Michigan and include that into your project.

    ReplyDelete