Thursday, July 1, 2010

Wait a sec, where's the music? (Blog #2)

I haven't been able to accomplish much, if any, of my project so far. Finding time to devote full attention to it had been difficult. I really have no excuse for not having more to show for this, since there's plenty of daylight hours after summer gym class to utilize. Alas, it seems procrastination has gotten the best of me once again.

It looks like auditioning for the Oakland Youth Orchestra may not work out. The tuition is over $1,000, a hefty sum that my parents are less than thrilled to hear about. There are some scholarship opportunities, but I have no clue how much help those would be. I'm also told that an audition with them is about $500 dollars on the spot, though this information can't be found their website. Woop-de-do... Regardless of this, I'm going to hang on to my little glimmer of hope for as long as I can.

Realizing that I'm procrastinating, and wanting to change that, will hopefully help to get me back on task. I have gotten a lot of valuable tips from my private viola teacher, Ms. Hashien, about making the best of my Wohlfahrt technique book (hehe, funny name). She gave me a good site for learning music theory (www.musictheory.net) which will hopefully be useful when I start writing my string orchestra piece/quartet. I have a few melodies bopping around in my head, but I'm not sure how to put them to paper yet. As for learning the guitar, I have the guitar, the books, and the motivation. Now all I need to do is quit procrastinating! xD



Here are some recordings of J.C. Bach's Viola Concerto in C Major, Movement No. 1, the concerto I've been working for the last few months. Its a work in progress, but I'm doing good with it. Hope you like it! :)


If I manage to play it half as good as this guy, I'd be freaking amazed. xD


Uh, this is a cello playing it, but it was the only video with a decent string orchestra accompaniment. Yeah...

2 comments:

  1. That song is AMAZING!!! I like Bach a lot too. You could totaly do it, you're an extremely talented violist (Sorry if that is'nt the right term). I am super jealous Mrs. Hashian is your tutor! Tell her I say hi for me please! It is amazing that you are going to write music. You;ll definetley have to get one in before we graduate so we could possibly play it. There is this cellist (who sadly graduated so I didn't get the chance) who wrote a song for the Youth Flint Symphony Orchestra. I think it's on Youtube, but I'm not sure of the name. If you ask Jen she'll know. And I might have to take a look at this Music Theory website myself, maybe it'll help me out too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, its so epic! You got the term violist right, don't worry. ;D Ms. Hashian does violin lessons. Its $25 for a half hour lesson, if you are interested. I shall definitely pass on your greeting. :)

    I will try to write music, but I'm thinking that it won't be my main area of focus this summer. It'll probably be easier once I (hopefully) get in some Music Theory classes during the school year. Regardless, I'll be writing some rough ideas down when inspiration strikes me. You really think Mr. B would let us play my future composition? Well hey, anything is possible!

    How are your songs coming?

    ReplyDelete