Thursday, July 1, 2010

The Project

Alright, so this is a little late, though better late then never (i've a bad case of Procrastinatia!). So here is my Project idea, Prepare yourself, I am going to hand craft...a full (or at least partial) Piece of chain mail armor! For those of us whom are not into the middle ages, chain mail armor was the most basic form of protection aside from leather. It was used by knights under the plated mail, and infantry. Chain mail is the weaving of multiple rings with a specific pattern to create a mail of chains (hence the name). The benefit of this was that all the different loops absorb the impact of a blow from a blade or hammer, spreading the impact through out the armor instead of one piece. This allowed for better protection against blunt and slashing weapons, as well as a longer durability.

Chain mail armor was created by stripping steal into a wire then hand wrapping this wire into a spool, or a spring. Then, the smith would cut each loop of this spool to create ring, and then wove the rings into a piece for the suit of armor. Their are roughly 40,000 rings in a simple chain shirt and over 80,000 of a hauberk (a tabard made of chain mail), This is a long and tedious task which would often be accomplished by multiple smiths.

Now, In order for me to start this project, I will need to fallow a few simply guidelines.

First, I will need to do some research on materials, patterns, and general historic facts about chain mail.

Second, I will need to find a way of getting the correct materials in modern society whilst still keeping the materials authentic.

Thirdly, I will need to create the rings using traditional methodology.

Fourthly, I will need to decide what pattern I am to use and what piece i wish to make.

Fifthly, I will need to begin the long tedious work that is weaving the chain.

And if all goes to plan, the rest of what i will post will be on my theology on how armor smiths could accomplish crafting these within a good measure of time and i will test its effectiveness.

4 comments:

  1. I wonder if chain mail goes against the School dress code.........
    That looks like a lot of fun, this is probably the perfect project for you. be sure to take lots and lots of pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :P thanks, I will...I wunder if ridding a horse with chain mail while wearing chain mail and having a banner is againts the dress code...the first day of school will be interasting @.@

    ReplyDelete
  3. @OPappas some girl went to her prom in a chainmail dress there(ask Mr.Puddy)but cool idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang! That is epic beyond EPIC! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete