Monday, August 30, 2010

8B.: The never ending music

This is the last post and I can't believe it. I am extremely proud of myself for one picking this project and two sticking with it. like I've said before every summer before I never touched my violin and it would've been easy to cheat and say yeah sure I played this much (just everyone in orchestra who would hear me play would be raising their eyebrows to why I would suck at the song so much). Instead I made myself practice at least once a week, and just that little bit of practice would make a difference. It would had been easy for Barbara Kinsolver to cheat too. She could have grown some fruits and vegetables in the summer and not went through all the work in preserving the food for the winter and just go to a grocery store. Instead her family and her pushed themselves to do the work and even enjoyed doing it not to mention the benefits of growing their own food. Practicing these songs were trying at times and I did feel like giving up but with perseverance I accomplished something completely on my own, and that is a wonderful feeling.

Waiting is never fun. Kinsolver and her family had to wait, and wait, and wait for the foods that they craved. I had to wait for the song that I crave. When the food of desire finally arrived the family filled themselves with the food. Now the Hungarian Dance No.6 arrived I will practice the song until it makes me sick, and then practice it some more until I know that I will get that One at Solo & Ensemble Festival.

In mostly everything the human race attempts they're are roadblocks. I ordered my song before the project started and waited hoping it would show up soon. It didn't. So instead of moping around that I couldn't work on anything I found an alternative song I could play after researching some specifics on my Hungarian Dance No. 6. Kingsolver did not mope around and let the hen fall all over her husband. Instead she researched what was going on and how to fix the problem.

I went to Orchestra camp to improve the skills I was trying to develop. She went to Italy ad many other places to learn about their food and how they grow it. We learned how things are done than used them for our own personal use.

As far as writing goes there is a similarity in how Kingsolver and I communicated our projects. I obviously did not write a book and Kinsolver did not blog, or for that matter tweet. Though the bogging and tweeting were very much like her book. The blog would be the large parts of her project such as the chapters for the different seasons. The tweets would be the short but informative sections that her husband and daughter wrote.

Achieving a realistic goal is never easy. The feeling of accomplishment will not fall in your lap, you must work for it. I have reached one level of accomplishment and cannot wait to reach the next one. I will not give up the practice that I have been doing just because school is starting and I'll have that work with it. I will keep playing just as Kingsolver kept planting.

No comments:

Post a Comment