Thursday, August 26, 2010

Second to Last

My project has been completed and I meant to publish this blog a few days ago, but things come up. So I've got to be honest when I say I have no idea what I've already told you in the previous posts since it's been a while and I'm forgetful. I would go back and look at my previous posts, but Blogger confuses me greatly and I don't know how. So, I'm going to complete this update because I'm technically two weeks behind with it and I still have my last post to write. I didn't write a post for the last week I did pictures because there was honestly nothing much to say except that I took pictures. For the week I was editting, I downloaded a program called Book Smart from http://www.blurb.com/. It allows you to actually design the layout of your book, add text, and pictures. Once completed, you can order the copy of your book in hardcover or soft and for a price they will ship it to you. That's basically how I was able to set up my book and it was surprisingly a great deal of work. I was planning on printing it, but I don't have the extra money to toss into that so it will have to wait. The program isn't just designed for books like that, but also wedding registries, photo books, guest books, cook books, etc. I had both of my parents read and edit my story for a fresh set of eyes (which was a challenge in and of itself) and then on top of that my own editting. I posted the finalized copy online. If you're interested in reading it you can find it at: www.writerscafe.org/writing/jukebox540483/595752. Unfortunately, this copy does not contain any of the pictures I have taken and I have not figured out a way where I can add them into the text at the appropriate spots. Even if I could, I'd prefer not to mess with watermarking all the images. In my opinion, it doesn't provide the same viewing experience. Not to mention, there are still a few pictures I have not taken that I would like to, but the right moment hasn't come. In their spot, I have (hopefully) temporary placers. They are still pictures I've taken, but not ones I've taken this summer. According to my mother, this book has me written all over it. I had a few inspirations for some of the aspects in the story. They helped me develope certain ideas and allowed me to connect the dots. I'm not so sure if it's a wise idea to mention them after all, but perhaps you might pick up hints from a few of them when you read it. I'll leave that up to you. As sad as it is and even though I did visit the library for this reason, I'm not totally sure what the age of my audience is. It was supposed to be around the age of 5 or 6, but it's been a few years since I was that age ... actually it's been a decade so I had trouble relating and bringing myself to be that simple and carefree. I did tone down my vocabulary and when I questioned something I tried to make it more simple, but in the end after everything was said and done I think I was only able to manage 9 years old aprox (4th grade). Although, I feel as if I read much larger books when I was in 4th grade, but then I was an avid reader so it's not saying much. I can't stop saying how busy this summer has been! I've never had a summer that requested so much time from me. I'm going to finish up the other AP work that I have not had time for and I'll probably update you on that in my last post. Also, if I can find a way to put the pictures up so they'll be protected and placed then I will let you know in the next post also. :) Summer break is almost over - less than 2 weeks left now. Good luck with the finishing touches if you're still working like me and if you're finished have fun soaking up some of the last rays of sun!
Below is a tidbit on the back of the book:

"The sun sets and the moon comes out.
A young girl begins to doubt.
Shadows and noises make her fear,
But a strange world stops her tears.

Many discoveries are to be made in this land
When an important mission is at hand.
As the clouds continue to drift,
She will come across many myths.


In search of truth, she will roam
Because there is no place like home.
Everything she ever wanted to know
is....
Somewhere Over the Rainbow."

No comments:

Post a Comment