Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Robert Pattinson hates Twilight, too...

Even though I started writing, I decided that I need to finish all of my summer reading before I get too wrapped up in all the work. I hope that doesn't put my project on hold for too long, because for history it's really not that much to read and the LA reading isn't taking as long as I thought it would. Hopefully I'll be done in 2-3 days. I'm working on Animal, Vegetable, Miracle right now and then I think I'll be able to write while working on the history reading concurrently.

I've sketched out what the Harry Potter half of my book will be like. I'm starting with sort of an opinion piece at the beginning, and then I go into the myths and creatures and science of it all. I wanted to dedicate an entire chapter to JKR's witty naming of the characters and locations, but I'm not sure if that would interest anyone. I think they're pretty clever though. Here are a few:
Character Names:
Voldemort = vol de mort
"Thief of death"

Fleur Delacour = fleur de la cour
"Flower of the court"

Albus Dumbledore
"White bumblebee" (White symbolizes purity, bumblebees are hard workers)

Rubeus Hagrid = similar to Hagrid Rubes
"Giant of the jewels"

Professor Binns
-suggests that history is rubbish (belongs in the bin)

Minerva (McGonagall)
"Wise"

Professor Quirrel = similar to Squirrel
-suggests the professor acted fidgety and nervous like a squirrel

Severus (Snape)
"Strict/Severe"

Sibyll Trelawney = similar to "Sibyl"
"A woman who can look into the future"
---Sibylla means 'seer'
---Trelawney means 'for God'

Professor Vector
-Vector is a mathematical term. Numbers are used in arithmancy.

Malfoy = mal foy
"Bad faith"

Narcissa (Malfoy)
-suggests the character is narcissistic. Narcissus was a man in Greek mythology who was so vain he stared at his reflection in a pond for so long that he eventually turned into a plant called the narcissus.

Lucius (Malfoy) = similar to "Lucifer"
-Lucifer rebelled against God and was thrown into hell, becoming Satan.

Draco (Malfoy)
"Dragon"

There are more but I didn't want to go on forever. :) And I really want to add a chapter on how the HP books are used to help kids recover after they have experienced the loss of a family member or friend, but I'm not sure if it will fit well.

Oh, and I found this quote somewhere. I think it's funny... and true.
"When you read the book," says Pattinson, looking appropriately pallid and interesting even without makeup, "it's like 'Edward Cullen was so beautiful I creamed myself.' I mean, every line is like that. He's the most ridiculous person who's so amazing at everything. I think a lot of actors tried to play that aspect. I just couldn't do that. And the more I read the script, the more I hated this guy, so that's how I played him, as a manic-depressive who hates himself. Plus, he's a 108-year-old virgin, so he's obviously got some issues there."
My blog: ericamelkonian.blogspot.com

5 comments:

  1. I like how so many of the slytheren people have star names; like Bellatrix, who is part of Orion's shoulder; Regulus, the heart of Leo; Andromeda, the princess; and of corse, Sirius, the dog star. I'm sure you noticed this, but I still think it is cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jessie, Ily2!

    Ocean, Yeah I did :) I actually looked up a lot of the Black family names. They're all on my huge list, I think it's cool, too!

    Hesper= Hesperus, the evening star
    Acturus is the 4th brightest star
    Lycoris is a star-shaped flower (So I'm not sure if this is a girl name or a boy name... lol)
    Lucretia= Lucretius, a crater on the moon

    There are more but those are just some of the extra ones from the Black family tree :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is really awesome, and the R. Pattinson quote is pretty funny. You should see Vampires Suck (if you haven't already). Some of the things they make fun of are direct attacks while some are just added to make people laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know haha! I saw it opening day because I was so excited! :)

    ReplyDelete