So I never got a chance to post last week mainly because I was going back and forth between the two ideas I had for the week. My first idea was to go to a holocaust museum and all that good stuff. Then I realised I worked all week except Sunday, on which my family on my dad's side was gathering at my uncle jerry's for a pool party. I was mad at first but then I realised it was a great oppertunity to ask questions to the whole family. I was going to ask my mom about her family on the drive there since it's a good 45 minutes. Then while there I was going to ask my whole family about everything they knew from their side and just childhood stories. I was intending to bring a notebook to jot everything down in.
Well day of the party comes, and my parents, Hannah, and I load up the car, notebook in hand. Then in the back seat me and Hannah start watching Mulan II. After 20 minutes I realised I should ask my mom about her family and when I take my head phones out my dad 'shush's me because the woman was sleeping! So first part of the plan is a fail. Then when we get there my dad breaks out the sangrea and let me tell you I've never seen a bigger bottle. Huge. So by later on when I want to ask questions my dad and my uncle are fighting about going to a lake house the summer of 2012 and how they said they would do it a few years ago but it never happened. Apparently my father is very offended by it. Needless to say, I never got any good stories from anyone though my dad did make my mom stop at El Padios on the way home, so I got some good tacos instead. If I got anything from this week its that my family is disfunctional (as I was told many times on Sunday from my uncle Larry and aunt Fay) and that we tend to yell and fight more than others. Though it also seems to bond us and keep us together in its weird little way too, no room for awkwardness at all. I can see all my uncles, dad, and aunt as kids fighting like they do now. I guess it did help me get some insight on my project after all.
No comments:
Post a Comment