Friday, August 13, 2010

blah blah blog

Okay, I'm sorry if this is taking up space, but I feel the need to write an emotionally sappy blog. I won't count this toward my eight. Where did I come from? Did I just show up on this planet yesterday? That seems unlikely, there seems to be proof that I was here longer than a day. But what if that evidence was forged? I still have memories as proof though... what is left of them.
I have to believe that we are made out of our past. Our brains copy and paste material around us; taking what we have learned and applying it to our actions when we have a choice to make. Pretty simple, really. Like when I was three years old, and I loved Christmas Carols. I sang them constantly. After a while, I noticed that when you sing Christmas Carols at anytime other than when the snow has first fallen up until after you have unwrapped red and green presents, you get a lot of weird looks. So I converted to singing non-seasonal songs during the rest of the year (which aren't as good in my opinion). So after singing some of these other songs, I realized that they tended to be followed by an applause. This became highly annoying to me, and I realized that in order to keep these peoples hands from attacking themselves, all I had to do was stop singing in front of them. I actually think of my voice as more of a curse than a talent now. Other people can sing along to their ipods without being stared at. But where did I learn how to cook? I am certainly not the next Iron Chef, but I've already made a few recipes from scratch this summer (see earlier blogs for details...). How many people upon hearing "bring a desert" would instantly grab a betty crocker box mix and frosting can?How many people think a recipe with chocolate chips, butter, sugar, salt, eggs, and flour (Fudgy Chocolate Brownies, I'll try these next week! =D)to be too complicated? Give me some credit! I've made my share of box cakes, but I have always felt bad about it. One, I can't read any of the ingredients on the side of the box; Two, they are impossible to frost; Three, I get this feeling that it is cheating, that there is no fun or glory in shoving a pan full of batter I didn't even make myself into an oven. I'm better than that, aren't I? In fact I am! I have been baking REAL deserts for longer than this summer. My cupboard is full of accumulated cookbooks from all stages of my life. One of my favorite cookbooks uses the METRIC system. I have recently uncovered three of my childhood friends. May I introduce to you KidsCooking: A Very Slightly Messy Manual, Alphabake: A Cookbook And Cookie Cutter Set, and My First Baking Book: A life-size guide to baking delicious things to eat? These were what brought me into the world of baking, where food is a sweet art project. I think I can remember making "Disgustingly Rich Brownies" "Homemade Applesauce" and "Egg in a Frame" from the KidsCooking book. I wish I could go back in time and watch myself bake them. Okay, I have ranted quite enough. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment