Friday, August 13, 2010

Oh Snap. This is Only My Fourth Post.

It's the Black Friday book author here.
OK, I made false promises once again. Because people keep getting in my way, I was not able to post EVERY DAY this week as I had SAID I WOULD. I had planned to post yesterday, but screws were quickly put to that. Anyway, welcome to WHAT IS ONLY MY FOURTH POST EVEN THOUGH SUMMER IS PRETTY MUCH OVER. WOW. WHAT WILL BE INSIDE THIS USELESS ISSUE?
Well, every word I write is progress. That's simply the way it is for us writers. Some days you write only a couple of sentences, some days you can write five pages or more. But you know what? Every bit of it is progress. At least you wrote SOMETHING, even if it doesn't fit anywhere in the actual story. Even if it's just filler and is doing nothing to advance your plot or even keep your readers interested. You are staying in the habit. And just because it's filler or whatever doesn't mean it's there to stay, oh that's it I have to send it to Doubleday like this ohhhhh nooooooo they rejected it because of all the filler and nonsense. Then change it, for God's sake.
I have managed to produce the introduction of Scott Anderson, the first of the people to arrive at Summit Electronics Center after my protagonist, Sheldon Wellday, and his friend, Jeff Gibson. All I know is he loves soccer even though the rest of America doesn't, and he listens to rap and hip hop and all of that garbage I don't like, and he's carrying a vuvuzela* to blow when the store opens at 5 A.M. the next morning. I have only written the beginning of this arrival part (i.e. I have not written the part where he actually arrives), but I have an idea that it will go something like this: 20 year old fool veers into the parking lot blasting House of Pain or something and gets out. Wellday and Gibson's reaction: double-you-tee-eff? Old rap is OOOOOLLLLLD. Anderson introduces himself and sets up his lawn chair and he, Wellday, and Gibson talk about the items they're getting and they talk and talk and talk and yeah yeah yeah OK sure fine whatever. His GF will arrive later to bring a tent or something. I DUNNO I HAVEN'T WRITTEN IT YET STOP ASKING ME.
Hopefully either later or tomorrow you will see an excerpt. Good luck on your projects everyone.

* Fun Fact: a bunch of vuvuzelas blowing sounds like a swarm of bees humming! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment