Monday, August 30, 2010

Smile! (6th post)

Hello everyone :) This blog is for the week of August 18th through the 25th because I have had minimal computer access lately because the internet connection has been bad. On August 18th I had volunteered at a funeral luncheon at my church. I prepared some food, set-up tables and chairs, served food, and cleaned up afterwards. The deacons' were very appreciative and It felt good to give back to my church and the people there who have done so much for me.

I also wrote a letter to Fernando David Martinez Say, the four year old boy from Guatemala that my youth group supports. I introduced myself, and told him a little bit about myself. He had mentioned in the last letter that he likes cookies and he drew us a picture. So I asked him if he could draw me a picture too :) Being four years old he can't write a letter himself, so an adult has to write down what he wants to say, and then a translator must translate what he has said into English. It is a long process so, unfortunately, I don't think I will receive his reply to my letter for quite some time.

Along with the letter I wrote to Fernando, I emailed my "adopted" soldier. I thanked her for all of the hard work she does to protect our country and I told her that the sacrifice she has made to do so was amazing and that I appreciate it more then words can say. I told her a bit about myself and I asked her some questions about herself so that we can get to know one another and be, for lack of a better phrase, pen-pals. This summer, I have really taken an interest in soldiers overseas who do so much and aren't appreciated enough. So my goal for this past week was to write as many thank you letters as I could and send them out to deserving soldiers. I feel as if these letters will brighten the day of any soldier who reads them and I pray that they will.

No comments:

Post a Comment