So, I realize it's been awhile since I've blogged, but that's because I was out of town at the New Wilmington Mission Conference (NWMC), which I have attended for the last eight years. This conference is all about hearing what missionaries are doing all over the world to help other people and bring a smile to their faces (sound like my project a little?). There were soooo many people who sacrifice so much for the benefit of others, it was truly inspiring to be there and to have the chance to learn from them. So, this blog isn't going to be about what I have done this week as much as what I've learned others have.
Our main speaker at this conference was Saleem Ghubril. Saleem lives in Pittsburgh, PA and is the Executive Director of the Pittsburgh Promise, which is an organization that promises 10,000 dollars a year toward college to any student who graduates Pittsburgh Public School's with at least a 2.5 GPA and who have at least a 90% attendance record (with a few other small requirements). This is a pretty amazing organization and thanks to Saleem, the incentive to continue your education after high school has increased dramatically.
Another speaker we heard was Dr. Freddy Albaidy. Freddy is the Director of the Salam Medical Center in Qanatir, Egypt. The Salam Medical Center is a place where people of all backgrounds and faiths can go and receive high quality medical care at a minimal cost. This Center has begun to close the gap between Muslims and Christians in Egypt, which is an outstanding feat in itself. You see, in Egypt, and any Muslim country that is, if you are Muslim you DON'T associate with Christians; However, the Salam Medical Center is associated with the church, but the Muslims near Qanatir don't care because of the high quality, minimal cost service they receive. Thus, the gap has begun to close. Freddy is an amazing person who wants to help everyone he can, which is awesome to see in a country such as Egypt.
These are just two of the many speakers I heard last week, but there are people everywhere that are doing just what Saleem and Freddy are doing to help their communities. While at conference we, as high school delegates, also had the chance to volunteer and help someone else and bring a smile to their face. One of the days a group of us went to a nursing home around the corner from the college campus (Westminster, where the conference is hosted), and we went and spent time with the elderly in the home. They were so excited that they had visitors and I got to talk to one women imparticular who was young at heart and just wanted to have a good time. We really made their day just by talking with them. Another day we went off campus again and helped create a memorial path for a young women who died that was a Westminster Alum. It was really cool to be able to help with that because it was honoring a woman who deserved the honor and all the other volunteers were really happy with the work that we did to help.
It felt really good to be able to help other people and make them happy. The entire week was full of smiles and friendly people helping each other out. Even just a small smile could make someone's day that much better. Reflecting back on Conference, I realize how inspired I felt hearing all of the stories and all of the speakers and it makes me want to go out and do just what so many people around the world already do.
No comments:
Post a Comment