First off, I apologies for the late post, i haven't been feeling well and so blogging completely slipped my mind. But starting off that week, I made my way back to Home Depot to continue my search for a galvanized steel cutter. One such was build for such a job and so i purchased it. As soon as I got home, I pulled out the cutters and put them to use. The first few rings cut easily enough and so these cutters where looking promising. Shortly after, however, They blade bent into a crescent and then completely snapped off after the forth ring. Yet another devastating blow to my project. With time running low and little means for cutting this accursed chain remaining, this project is looking very bleak. I have, for time to time this week, confronted my mother with a preposition of purchasing a power steel cutter and a heat lamp, but all such are quickly dismissed as my approaching vacation has consumed our means of purchasing such.
So how is it that this was done with such ease back in the middle ages? Well, armor smiths used iron more then steel for making armor due to how much easier iron was to attain. Iron is softer then steel and would have been cut much easier. But for those who did use steel, the armor smiths also had access to a forge, a stone oven which metal could be placed and then quickly heated to make red metal which is very soft. The forges could also melt the metal into molten material. Perhaps it was all in the heating which allowed them to make chain mail armor.
No comments:
Post a Comment