Monday, August 9, 2010

Down with the music Nazi! (Blog #6)

Hey there guys! I've realized that bar that I've raised for myself in regards to my "Very Musical Summer" project is, well, unreachable. In order to achieve everything that I had planned, I would have to spend inhuman amounts of time doing nothing but breathing and playing my instruments. There comes a point where one can only do so much; therefore, I'm going to make the remainder of this project more about my personal enjoyment of the music. I'll celebrate my small musical victories instead of dwelling on negativity. My music Nazi tendencies up until this point haven't done me me any good, which is why I'm happy to report that they're marching away for good.

I've played my viola far more than I have during previous summers, a small victory that actually means a lot to me. While I had a grand plan to play my way through an entire advanced level technique book by September, I've realized that its an impossible feat. I'm not discouraged though. Continuing to devote a little bit of time here and there to work on my technique, as opposed to cramming the entire process in a little over three months, will pay off more in the long run. My guitar playing is still a work in progress. I'll keep putting in the effort to learn it better whenever I get the time, but I get the feeling that playing it confidently is skill I'll acquire a long way down the road.

On a lighter note, while on vacation in Williamsburg,Virginia, I got to hear fiddlers, fife players, and drummers play the music of colonial America. Even though my viola and guitar where miles away from me this past week, hearing other musicians playing their instruments made me really happy. Oh, I forgot to mention, Orchestra Camp is quickly approaching! It'll be an absolutely awesome week filled with craziness and valuable prep time for Chamber/Sinfonia in the fall. Heck yeah!!!

Until next time, keep on trucking. :)

~Elyse Komarzec~

2 comments:

  1. Wait, what? There are Nazis? Do you mean we have to play "the sound of music" all over again? 'Cause I'm not up for that at all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, the hills are dead now. No more sound of music. :D Now I feel like breaking into the chorus of "The Suicidal Goatherd"!

    ReplyDelete