Barbara Kingsolver uprooted her family, changed thier whole diet, and slaughtered turkeys. I built a model boat... How are our projects similar? Hmm... Well, needless to say, I thought long and hard about this. I was inspired, actually, by the In Fact chart we are required to do. When Mr.Wilson said not to focus on plot, but on style, it got me thinking about looking at things in a different way.
While our project topics are very different, Barbara and I do indeed have something in common. She gained a lot of knowledge about a specific "hobby", if you will, as did I. She learned, also, that patience is rewarding. Granted, Barbara had to wait much more than I did, but that was a skill I had to aquire aswell.
I had to overcome hurdles, too. Barbara coulodn't cure her love sick that had a "thing" for her hussband and I couldn't figure out the rigging on my ship.
The Only difference: Barbara solved her problem...and I did not.
Strings are hard to figure out. Awkward silence.
The biggest thing that Barbara's project and mine had in common was we both found a lot of happiness in our work. She loved the fresh food, the feel of self sufficiency, and the piece of mind her efforts gave her. I loved the creativity, the immensley careful work, and the pice of mind my efforts gave me. I guess what I'm getting at is the project itself wasn't what gave us common ground, it was the rewards we got out of hard work and determination. Both Barbara and I committed to a long term project, stuck to it, and were very proud of our results. And of course last but certainly not least, we both had fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment