Thursday, August 26, 2010

Vampires Suck

So the whole book-writing thing is off to a pretty slow start. I didn't know where to begin, so I sort-of wrote an introduction. I can't say it's the introduction because I can't actually write that until the end. I just wrote an introduction so I don't forget what I want to write, if that makes any sense at all. It seemed like a good idea, but it was probably just a waste of time now that I think about it... When I'm finished I'll know everything that's going to be inside, and that's when I'll know just how to ease readers into the book (that is, if there are any readers... I don't think I'll have the guts to let anyone read it!). Besides, I hate it right now. I mean, I always hate everything I write until I proof-read and edit it 5000 times. I'm sure it's not that bad, but when I go back to edit my work I always go into it thinking it's terrible. It's just how I am. I'd be very surprised if that changed with this book, and I'm prepared for the millions of re-writes I'm going to make. I know it's going to be worth it, because after all of the scratching-out and ripping-out and stressing-out, my book just might turn out okay. And then I'll get it bound and Kinko's and set it on a shelf somewhere in my room and be done!

After I finished the introduction, I started in on the science in Harry Potter, because that's the best part for me. I love science. Give me a biology book or a House marathon and I will definitely be a very happy camper. Unfortunately, I knew readers would get bored with what I was saying so I stopped. I'm pretty sure I was wasting my time by droning on about things that only I find remotely interesting, so I want to figure out a way to write about them in a more creative way. I want other people to find them interesting, too, you know? So I decided I will definitely go back to it later.

Right now I'm working on the myths and legends behind the Harry Potter series, and I think these topics are a bit more intriguing to other people, so I'm really excited about them! There's a lot to write about, too. So I feel like I'm actually getting ahead instead of just taking notes and wasting paper and putting things off until 'later', whenever that is. Mermaids, dragons, giants, witches, wizards, sphinxes, pixies, and on and on it goes. So on and on I go.

I know I'm making this project sound painstakingly monotonous, but I'm so in my element right now--really. I love writing! It feels like I'm actually doing something. Like about ten minutes ago, I was sitting in the most comfortable chair in the house with my ten-cent notebook on my lap and my hand was just taking on the role of my mouth and going on and on and on (which is quite literally what my mouth usually does). I guess it's kind of like sign language, except the hand movements don't get lost in thin air and there's no time lag between your brain and your hand. That gets really annoying. I think much faster than my hand can move and sometimes I forget what I'm trying to write. My brain spits out one sentence after another, but my hand is a slug moving across the paper. But if it weren't for the slowness of it all, I might switch to writing over talking altogether. Well no, I wouldn't, because that would be stupid, but writing everything out stops me from rambling. I'm a rambler. I just need to get to the point so I don't forget what that point is. That's why I write everything out by hand because I can type a lot faster than I can write. The typing doesn't filter out the babbling. Thank God the pen ink doesn't fade, because when I do forget what I'm trying to say (which actually happens all the time) I can go back and read what I wrote before and get back on track. Unlike when I'm talking. I never get to the point, so just don't get me started.

Another bright side to writing? I can be as sarcastic as I want. Hopefully I'm nice in person, because I really do try to be, but I can be quite a mean writer. It's like there's a filter in my brain and all the bad gets sent to my right hand. But to me, criticism is far more entertaining than praise. Even if I don't agree with it, I like to read it. I like critics because they're honest and maybe a little prejudiced and they don't try incredibly hard to be politically correct about everything. They don't care about people liking them. Their pieces can be funny or insulting or make you think you're an idiot for actually liking something in the first place. No matter how you spin it, it's a lot more interesting that reading 57 pages of nothing but praise. I think a mean piece is chock-full of charisma. That's why girls supposedly like bad boys, right? Regardless, I can be quite the cynic and I love to mock everything. And I have actually written some of my anti-Twilight pieces even though I didn't finish re-reading the series. I had enough to go on from the 40 pages of the first book that I did read and what I remembered from the rest of them. Besides, I'm writing just for the sake of writing. It's not like there are any limits. This is very bad for Stephenie Meyer and very good for people who like things that are very bad for Stephenie Meyer.

There is no way I'm going to write an entire book in the next week so I guess in my next blog I'll just make connections based on what I've got. I hope everyone had a fantastic summer and I hope you all had fun with your projects!

-Erica Melkonian

PS: Vampires Suck wasn't that funny. All the best parts were in the commercials... I really hate when that happens! It was pretty lame. If you want to see funny Twilight satire videos you can probably find some good ones on YouTube. Hmmm.. I was so excited to see it, too. :(

Please follow: wizards vs. vampires

No comments:

Post a Comment