Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Post #7: Free Root Beer Floats :)

Easter Seals is a non profit agency that provides services for children and adults with disabilities and their families. Every year, they have a fundraiser with Kroger. Kroger agrees to donate root beer float supplies so employees can make the floats to raise money. Since my mom is an employee at Easter Seals, we went to Kroger and set up a root beer float stand. All root beer floats were free, but donations were accepted. All of the money earned went to children with autism. Easter Seals provides autistic children in our community with in home therapy, most of which is very expensive. Most insurance does not cover the therapy, so fundraising is very necessary. We only sold root beer floats for about 2 hours and made almost 40 dollars. Other employees from Easter Seals were at different Krogers around Oakland County all week raising money. It was a lot of fun to yell "FREE FLOATS!" and see people double take when I said "free." Most people just took the root beer float without giving any money, which is sad, but there were a few people who gave generous donations. It's wonderful to know that I helped children with autism in a small way.

My church has been collecting school supplies to send to lighthouse. Later in the week, Hannah Stinson and I sorted the school supplies and took it to lighthouse. I was surprised how much supplies was donated. Glue, pencils, pens, folders, markers, crayons, calculators, rulers, notebooks, paper and backpacks. It is a great feeling to know that this supplies is going to go to kids that can not afford it. I wish I could see the look on the childrens faces when they see what our church got for them!

Today I volunteered at my church again. This time the event was not so joyful. I spent the day preparing a serving food for a funeral. Our church put on the funeral service and gave the family a luncheon afterward. We made ham, potatoes, meat balls, green beans, rolls, salad, jello and cake. Before the family ate, we prayed that God would be with them in their hard time and that he would give them strength. It was sad to see the sorrow on the families faces and the hurt in their eyes. When the family was finished eating, I helped clean up. I washed dishes, cleared plates and put left over food away. At the end, the family told us that we did a great job and thanked us for all of our hard work. Their thank you made it all worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment