Friday, August 6, 2010

The Following of Kim Smallwood

As I look back on the voice message that I left Kim asking her permission to follow her for my project, I can't help it but to feel kind of, well, creepy. But actually following her was fun, I decided that lurking in a corner of the room while Kim and her friends conversed wouldn't be the best way to see Kim just being natural. So, I took part, but focused on my project. Throughout this project, I will not be critisizing how people are socially, but I will be pulling out the good that they do, I want to notice the things that make them people I want to be around and make sure that I am doing those things when I am around people.
I noticed some things that I believe some people just expect of their host/hostess. Kim never waited untill after we said we were hungry or thirsty to offer us food or drinks. And, since my project is to better myself, I will make sure I am on the ball with guests. She also sat on the floor to give us the chairs and the couch. I've realized that when I have people over, I am the first to pop a squat on the coach or love seat, that will be changing.
One more thing that I noticed was that she doesn't ignore anyone. At times, when it is a group hanging out, there are possibly one or two people left out. This was not the case with Kim. She is an all around great person to be around, and when I took the time to notice these things, I learned from her. These are things I already knew to do, but I realized that I don't do them sometimes. That's what I would like to change.

2 comments:

  1. Very good observations and Kudos to Kim (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha you make me sound like Martha Stewart. But thank you for the excellent review. I was unaware I was a good host. Ha go figure. But that was just a fun day...hah.
    Extra love,
    Kim!

    ReplyDelete